Monthly Archives: January 2016
How to Save Money when You Have a Spending Habit
Everybody loves money especially spending money. A lot of the things people buy are not needed: new clothes, gadgets and night life are not always necessary. The economy is rough, getting jobs is tough, so you need to value your money. Sadly, many people don’t have a high a financial IQ. They know how to make money, but not sure how to save and spend it. If your able to manage your money right–you will be able to treat yourself more comfortable and more often in the long run.
Here are some of the steps with which you can save money even while spending enough:
How to save the tiger
There are five different kinds or subspecies of tiger alive in the world today. These tigers are called Siberian, South China, Indochinese, Bengal, and Sumatran. Their Latin name is Panthera tigris. Tigers are an endangered species; only about 5,000 to 7,400 tigers are left in the wild. Three tiger subspecies, the Bali, Javan, and Caspian tigers have become extinct in the past 70 years.
Apple soon to launch wireless headphones
here is a rumor that points out to the demise of 3.5mm headphone jack on iPhone 7. There is a report from iPhone Supply Chain that confirms this information. It adds that a Lightning ‘convert up’ would be made available which allows the headphones with 3.5mm outlet to pair up with Lightning connector.
Last year, there were claims by Apple that it had plans of ditching the 3.5mm headphone jack for reducing the thickness of the iPhone by 1mm. This new report adds that Apple is also planning to promote its wireless headset. Claims were made by the previous report that the same size would be retained by the Lightning Connector and there would also be a digital to analogue converter with wired headphones for backwards compatibility.
The removal of the jack won’t go well with the users. Almost laptops, desktops, tablets and smartphones ship with the audio port. Considering the past record of Apple, removal of this port wouldn’t materialize. The compact disk drive was ditched by the company from the computer lineup with MacBook Air and soon it was done by other rival manufacturers as well.
Last year, the launch of MacBook was seen by the company having just 1 USB Type-C port for power input and data transfer. Besides, since a while now, the company has been giving hints of dislike towards this 3.5mm jack. In the year 2014, the MFi program specifications were introduced by the company so that 3rd- party manufacturers can make earphones that can connect well with iPad and iPhone through Lightning cable.
E-Cig no better than normal cigarettes, can kill cells
A new study has warned that e-cigs are equally dangerous than normal cigarettes and can cause cancer as well. While testing in lab researchers have found that vapours emitted from electronic devices can damage human cells and in extreme those vapours can kill cells.
Previous studies have suggested that nicotine in cigarette damages human cells. Wang-Rodriguez, chief of pathology at the San Diego branch of the US Department of Veteran Affairs, says that they have found some other products along with nicotine that affects cells. According to study authors, nicotine present in the e-cigs cannot harm so much and there must be other components in the e-cigarettes that are doing this damage. However, researchers haven’t identified those compounds yet.The US FDA (Food and Drug Administration) that regulate nicotine products does not regulate e-cigs. However, FDA has warned people of negative effects of smoke from electronic devices.
The US FDA (Food and Drug Administration) that regulate nicotine products does not regulate e-cigs. However, FDA has warned people of negative effects of smoke from electronic devices. For the study, Rodriquez tested two variants of e-cigs — nicotine and nicotine free version. Nicotine version makes a person addictive and affects cells, researchers already knew that. However, study authors were astonished to see that nicotine free version too altered cells and killed some cells in extreme cases.
Currently, there are more than 500 brands of e-cig and their marketing strategies makes them appear to the public that e-cigs are safe and will not cause any harm to health. Thus, attractive advertisement encourages people in using e-cig and develops a belief that e-cigs are safe when compared to regular cigarettes. According to reports, more than 2.6 million people use e-cigarettes in the UK itself and India is not far behind. Rodriguez further added that more research is needed to study the long-term effect of e-cigs.
The study appeared in the journal Oral Oncology.
Complex Alien Life in Old, Dense Star Clusters
For many years a lot of researchers and scientists are working in order to identify the existence of extra-terrestrial life in the outer space, the proceedings of the research are not leading to any fruitful results. A pair of scientists at the Tata Insitute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai has said that they might be hiding out in the unexamined star clusters.
The globular star clusters holding millions of stars in a ball that is about 100 light-years far from our solar system. In the clusters there could be a planet 10 billion year old giving the time to intelligent beings to evolve and become space-advancing. The Milky way has 150 globular clusters that are formed from the oldest known stars, most of being neglected and researchers are only able to discover that not have the features to sustain life.
Recently presented at 227th meeting of the American Astronomical Society, the scientists are raising concern that the clusters can pose a challenge for the habitability of the planets. Having strong gravitational forces the stars in the globular clusters are close to each other, the power of the force is so much that it can rip the solar systems apart.
According to the scientists any civilization present can survive for much longer and is likely to still be around, if the civilization is destroyed then it must passed on the information or people to another planet.
Was Lord Shiva the greatest environmentalist of the world?
.A paper named Lord Shiva: The Greatest Environmentalist in the World, was presented by Indian professor in the 103rd Indian Science Congress Association. The paper states that Lord Shiva was visionary and most environment-friendly man ever to live on Eart. He used animals for transportation, protected plants and did many more things to protect environment.
The ongoing Indian Science Congress in Mysore is now getting into a controversy for a couple of papers being showcased proposing Lord Shiva as the greatest environmentalist of the world. The selected papers were prepared by Akhilesh K. Pandey with the title Lord Shiva: The Greatest Environmentalist in the World, pointing Lord Shiva and the powers possessed as Lord of Mount Kailash accessed for providing purified water to living beings.
However the papers were unable to be presented as Dr. Pandey got a last minute injury on the leg while on the staircase, leaving the attendees to hear the lecture from Rajeev Sharma, additional commissioner of Kanpur on blowing of shankh for achieving health and wellness. The selection of the paper for the segment of the environmental conversation triggered a lot of heat on social media with the accusation of sponsoring non-scientific subject to the organizers and University of Mysore.
On the subject, Pandey cleared his view and said “My absence had nothing to do with the controversy. I injured my leg and that’s why I couldn’t come, he added, “It is important that people around us understand the importance of conserving plants and animals today”. He further added that family of Lord Shiva used animals for transportation and conserved plants that protected our environment. The papers presented at the 103rdIndian Science Congress undergo intense analysis before it is passed to be presented to the attendees.
Last year Congress held at Mumbai also encountered some sharp reactions from various communities representing scientists.
Now the rise in pollution in our environment has made many people think of the means in order to restrain the casualties and threats possessed due to it. After Delhi’s Odd and Even rule for the vehicles, a lot of people in other states are seeking for methods that can help the citizens to prevent the fatalities.
Top 10 Environmental Issues Facing Our Planet
Our planet earth has a natural environment, known as ‘Ecosystem’ which includes all humans, plant life, mountains, glaciers, atmosphere, rocks, galaxy, massive oceans and seas. It also includes natural resources such as water, electric charge, fire, magnetism, air and climate.
Engineering developments are resulting in resource depletion and environmental destruction. Modern technologies used in the engineering and manufacturing industry have a major impact on our life in past few years. Due to the rapid changes in the engineering and manufacturing industry have been drastic changes in the environment.
Engineering and manufacturing industry have increased the use of materials like metals, plastic, oil and rubber. These are used in the production of numerous end products which can be associated with different industries such as Car production units, shipping industries, Cotton mills, plastics industries, Coal mining, heavy machineries and etc which are causing numerous arduous effects and are considered to be non-environment friendly.
Crucial environmental issues are no more a blame game. While most of us crib about dirty air, smelly garbage or polluted water, least do we know it is “us” who is responsible for this unfavorable circumstances leading to cautionary environmental issues.
Here are 10 significant current environmental issues, where human beings play an important role in its cause.
1. Pollution: More than half of the human population knows what is pollution, but we are still not ready to face its damaging consequences. Pollution is not only limited to water, soil and noise but has extended to light, visual, point and non-point sources. Human beings and their actions are majorly responsible for causing all types of pollution. Water pollution is essentially cause by oil spills, urban runoff and ocean dumping. Air pollution rises from burning of fossil fuels, hydraulic fracturing and gases emitted by vehicles. Water and soil pollution are majorly cause from industrial waste.
2. Climate Change: Climate change today is less of a natural process. It is rapidly occurring due to the ill effects of human actions responsible for disturbing and harmful out comings such as global warming, greenhouse effect, urban heat, coal industry etc. Climate change is not only changing the overall weather scenario, but has larger and harmful effects. Some of these include: melting of polar regions, occurrence of new diseases and permanent inhibition in growth of certain plants essential for human survival.
3. Global Warming: Global warming is another environmental issue which is increase in earth’s temperature due to effect of greenhouse gases called carbon dioxide, methane, water vapor and other gases. These gases possess heat trapping capacity that are needed to create greenhouse effect so that this planet remains warm for people to survive. Without these gases, this planet would turn be cold for life to exist.
During past several decades, the accumulation of greenhouse gases have grown rapidly, which means more heat gets trapped in the atmosphere and few of these gases escapes back into the space. These gases heat up the earth’s surface and this results in global warming. According to Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) reports, the earth’s temperature has increased by 0.8 degrees Celsius over the past century. Global warming is a serious public health and environmental concern. Global warming can have long lasting effects which can result in melting of glaciers, climate change, droughts, diseases and increase in hurricanes frequency.
4. Deforestation: With population growing at a rapid pace, the demand for food, shelter and cloth has almost tripled in last few decades. To overcome growing demand, a direct action that we have come to recognize as “Deforestation” occurs. Deforestation means, clearing of forests or green cover for means of agriculture, industrial or urban use. It involves permanent end of forest cover to make that land available for residential, commercial or industrial purpose.
5. Overpopulation: This is a never-ending human tragedy which is responsible for causing all types of environmental issues. Water pollution, resources crisis, gender imbalance, pollution, land pollution, urban sprawling, deforestation, over production are some common examples of dangerous effects cause by overpopulation. Despite efforts taken by the government in terms of family planning in many countries, over population is difficult to control at international level. This has become more like a subjective concern and no method seems to be 100% efficient to resolve the problem of over population.
6. Industrial and Household Waste: At present, tons of garbage is produced by each household each year. Items that can be recycled are sent to local recycling unit while other items become a part of the landfills or sent to third world countries. Due to increase in demand for food, shelter and house, more goods are produced. This resulted in creation of more waste that needs to be disposed of. Most waste is buried underground in landfill sites. The presence of huge landfills sites across the city pose serious environmental concerns. It affects human health, degrades soil quality, effects wildlife, cause air pollution and results in climate change.
7. Acid Rain: Acid rain simply means rain that is acidic in nature due to the presence of certain pollutants in the atmosphere. These pollutants come in the atmosphere due to car or industrial processes. Acid rain can occur in form of rain, snow, fog or dry material that settle to earth. Acid rain may cause due to erupting volcanoes, rotting vegetation and sea sprays that produce sulfur dioxide and fires, bacterial decomposition and lightening generate nitrogen dioxide.
Acid rain can also be caused due to man-made sources which include combustion of fossil fuels which release sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides into the atmosphere. Acid rain can have devastating effects on aquatic life, forests, public health and architecture and buildings.
8. Ozone Layer Depletion: Ozone layer is a layer of gas that sits 25-30 km above earth’s surface. It mainly contains contain ozone which is a naturally occurring molecule containing three oxygen atoms. This layer is present in the stratosphere and prevents too many harmful UV (ultra violet) radiations from entering the earth. Ozone layer is capable of absorbing 97-99% of the harmful ultraviolet radiations that are emitted by sun.
However, during last several decades, human and industrial activity has contributed a lot which has resulted in considerable reduction in the ozone layer of the atmosphere. The main cause of depletion of ozone layer is determined as excessive release of chlorine and bromine from man-made compounds such as chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs). CFCs (chlorofluorocarbons), halons, CH3CCl3 (Methyl chloroform), CCl4 (Carbon tetrachloride), HCFCs (hydro-chlorofluorocarbons), hydrobromofluorocarbons and methyl bromide are found to have direct impact on the depletion of the ozone layer.
9. Genetic Engineering: Genetic modification of food, human and animal organs seems like the gem of science and technology but this has major harmful effects. Biotechnology is an impressive technology but limiting is use is the need of the hour. Genetic engineering is a controversial subject and has seen more ill impacts than the benefits it brings to mankind. Genetic pollution and alteration of food produce not only have harmful effects on human beings, but are responsible for crucial concern known s as ‘genetic modification’.
10. Urban Sprawl: Not only India and China are classic examples of over population and urban sprawl leading to land degradation. Today almost all countries are using the land irresponsibly to meet the ever-growing demand of the greedy human wishes. The expansion of industrial areas has not only led to land degradation and soil pollution, but the habitat destruction is a terrible misery. Natural environment consisting of flora and fauna is indiscriminately destructed and lost completely instead of being replaced. This in the long run has harmful impact for human survival and cause serious environmental issue.
North Korean Nuclear Issue in China-U.S. Relations
Since the North Korean nuclear issue emerged in the early 1990s, it has been of growing importance to China-U.S. relations. On the one hand, China and the United States basically take the same position on the issue: They both call for a nuclear-free Korean Peninsula and oppose the development of nuclear weapons by the two Koreas; and they advocate peaceful settlement of the issue through the Six-Party Talks, because it will determine the prospects for the non-proliferation of nuclear weapons as well as the peace and security of Northeast Asia.However, on the other hand, as major global powers, China and the United States play different roles in the security pattern of the peninsula, which means they have different relations with the two Koreas as well as disagreement on how to peacefully settle the nuclear issue.
How to consolidate the common ground and shared interests on the issue between China and the United States, how to promote their cooperation in the denuclearization of the peninsula and how to reduce mutual suspicions and disagreement on issues that are major concerns for both will not only contribute to a nuclear-free peninsula with lasting peace and stability, but also have a profound impact on the new model of major-country relations between China and the United States.
Basic Policies of China and the United States on the North Korean Nuclear Issue
Due to the Korean War and the lasting influence of the Cold War, China and the United States have entirely different bilateral relations with North Korea, but they share similar positions on the denuclearization of the peninsula and similar concerns.
Throughout the Cold War, China and the United States provided large quantities of military aid to their respective allies, namely South Korea, officially known as the Republic of Korea (ROK), in the case of the United States and North Korea, or the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK), in the case of China, but neither offered aid that could generate nuclear or missile proliferation. After South Korea’s secret development of nuclear weapons was revealed in the 1970s, the U.S. government carried out direct interventions to force South Korea to give up the plan.
After the Cold War, two strategic and historic events significantly altered the security pattern of mutual deterrence between North and South Korea: The first referred to the radical change of the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe so that North Korea lost a vital foreign economic aid provider and a strong military supporter; second, China accommodated the trend of the times characterized by the end of the Cold War and a thaw in the relations between the two Koreas; thus it normalized its relations with South Korea, leading to a structural change in the “balance of power” between the China-DPRK alliance and the U.S.-ROK alliance. Therefore, the Cold War between China and South Korea came to an end while the Cold War between the two Koreas continued.
The two aforementioned events marked the end of indirect trilateral military collaboration among North Korea, China and the Soviet Union, while trilateral ties among South Korea, the United States and Japan were strengthened. This change fueled the strategic determination of North Koreato accelerate its nuclear weapons program. The nuclear issue became the security focus of the peninsula as well as a new area where exchange, cooperation and conflicts between China and the United States took place.
China has a consistent and clear position on North Korea’s development of nuclear weapons. Whether during or after the Cold War, it has always called for a peninsula that is free of nuclear weapons and opposed any import, deployment or storage of nuclear weapons from abroad by North Korea, as well as the development of nuclear weapons by either Korea. Therefore, although China has been providing extensive and large-scale aid to North Korea since the 1950s, it has never offered aid that might facilitate North Korea’s nuclear weapon development or delivery.
Since the nuclear issue escalated in 1994, China has always made it clear in its bilateral exchange with North Korea that it would firmly oppose North Korea’s development of nuclear weapons. China denounced North Korea’s three nuclear tests in 2006, 2009 and 2013 and it supported and abided by related resolutions and sanctions imposed on North Korea by the UN Security Council. In September 2013, the relevant government departments in China issued an administrative instruction prohibiting any Chinese enterprises from exporting to North Korea more than 900 civilian-military dual-use or sensitive products, a long list of over 300 pages.
Besides, in China’s view, the North Korean nuclear issue is not a simple matter of nuclear proliferation, but a strategic and comprehensive issue concerning the national security of North Korea. Given that, in the efforts to promote a North Korea free of nuclear weapons, consideration should also be given to North Korea’s security, political, economic and diplomatic concerns.
With this in mind, when the North Korean nuclear crisis broke out for a second time in early 2003, leading to acute tension between North Korea and the United States, China made concerted diplomatic efforts to initiate the Six-Party Talks among North and South Korea, the United States, China, Russia and Japan in August 2003. The talks were held under the theme of “denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula”. China also emphasized that the six parties must ensure the denuclearization of the peninsula rather than just North Korea. The Six-Party Talks aim to promote a nuclear-weapons-free North Korea, and establish an institutional arrangement to ensure neither side of the peninsula tests, produces, accepts, possesses, stores, deploys or uses nuclear weapons. Denuclearization refers to the military denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula; both the Koreas still have the right to use nuclear energy for peaceful purposes, the same as other sovereign states.Thanks to the advocacy and mediation by the Chinese delegation, members of the Six-Party Talks emphasized North Korea’s right of peaceful use of nuclear energy in their September 19 Joint Statement.
As for the denuclearization of North Korea, China has maintained a consistent position, namely promoting the Six-Party Talks by focusing on the nuclear issue itself while removing the external impediment, which is the hostile external environment faced by North Korea. Through the talks, China hopes that a package of comprehensive solutions can be agreed upon by the six parties based on the principles and objectives defined by the September 19 Joint Statement, and progress can be made in the normalization of the relations between North Korea and other countries by replacing the Korean Armistice Agreement in 1953 with a permanent peace treaty for the Korean Peninsula. China also hopes that a cooperation mechanism for Northeast Asia can be established in which North Korea is treated as an equal member.
Unlike China, whose position has remained consistent, the United States has made complicated adjustments in its fundamental policy toward the North Korean nuclear issue. On the one hand, the Washington upholds the basic policy of a nuclear-weapons-free Korean Peninsula; on the other hand, throughout the 20 years of the Clinton administration, the Bush administration and the Obama administration, the United States has adopted three totally different attitudes and policies toward the issue, creating huge uncertainty and wavering.
Near-death experiences: what it feels like to die
Meeting with deceased loved ones is a significant feature, combined with the experience of feeling peace and love. People who have been close to death often report similar feelings. Whether they are verifiably real occurrences that can be scientifically quantified or not is, in many ways, irrelevant.
Near-death experiences (NDEs) can agitate and excite in equal measure.
Skeptics argue, often fiercely, that they result from nothing more than brain activity, or psychological constructions of a dying brain. Yet, people who have NDEs unanimously contest to the realness of the NDE. And these people are not ‘crazed’ in any way. They are regular people, who just happen to have had an extraordinary experience. NDEs are reported by men, women, and children, regardless of age, nationality, ethnicity, religion, occupation, or education level.
They are not new phenomena. NDEs are evident across cultures and throughout history, with some of the earliest known accounts being recorded by the ancient Egyptians and Greeks. In fact, NDEs are quite common. They occur daily, under a wide variety of circumstances, in virtually every country around the world. Around 20% of cardiac arrest survivors and 4-9% of the general population are estimated to have had an NDE. But, they are believed to be under-reported, so the actual number of people who have one is probably much higher. They are typically described by those who have had a close brush with death, or have died and been resuscitated. Although, not all people who have a close brush with death or who are resuscitated have an NDE.
Recent research indicates NDEs occur when physical functioning is severely compromised or non-existent. Which is interesting, because conventional wisdom suggests severe physical injury and/or physical death results in diminished perceptual abilities. Yet, reports of NDEs indicate the exact opposite. Paradoxically, NDEs seem to suggest that conscious abilities may continue in the absence of detectable physiological functioning.
Those reporting NDEs often describe a profound psychological event that is mystical, transcendental, or even spiritual in nature; where the boundaries between space, time, and normal perceptual awareness become blurred. One of the most intriguing examples of this is the apparent existence of disembodied consciousness. That is, many have described perceiving events as if they were positioned outside of their own body.
Some of the most popular accounts include the witnessing of resuscitation efforts by medical personnel, perceiving others in distant locations, and viewing objects in unusual locations. One well-known case describes how a comatose man viewed his own resuscitation, and the attending nurse removing his dentures and placing them in a ‘crash cart’. More than a week later, the patient was able to identify the nurse and describe the location of his missing dentures.
Other commonly reported features of an NDE include movement through a tunnel often at great speed, seeing beautiful otherworldly scenes, a life review, and coming to a border of no return. These features are often combined with the experience of overwhelmingly positive emotions, including peace, unconditional love, and joy. Disappointment upon returning to one’s physical body is often felt. Meeting with deceased loved ones is a particularly significant feature of some NDEs. Many have described meeting and conversing with deceased parents, children, spouses, and even pets.
Especially intriguing are cases where the person having the NDE did not know a loved one had died, yet meets them during their NDE. Some only find out upon regaining consciousness that the loved one had in fact died, at a distant location, just moments before the NDE.
Perhaps even more interesting are those cases where a deceased other is met during an NDE, but the person is not aware of the identity of the other. It is only after the NDE – sometimes decades after – the person eventually finds out the person they ‘met’ during their NDE was their biological parent, sibling, or grandparent. A final feature of an NDE that is especially prominent is seeing a bright light. Often described as ‘brighter than bright’, yet ‘not blinding’, the light is supernatural. It is warm, loving, and accepting. It is unlike any other light people have seen before, or since, their NDE.
It is probably because of these extraordinary features and the proximity to physical death that NDEs agitate and enlighten in equal measure. The NDE raises many perplexing questions about death – and indeed conscious abilities – some of which are difficult to answer according to established scientific empiricism.
A recent large-scale study has provided credible findings to suggest NDEs may actually be real phenomena. But, whether they are verifiably real occurrences that can be scientifically quantified or not is, in many ways, irrelevant. What is certain is that people who have NDEs believe in the authenticity of the experience. And, the experience, they say, is extraordinary.
How to Develop and Improve Your Money Saving Habits
Saving money is one of those habits that we know is good for us, but might not have developed particularly well. For an individual who doesn’t currently save, perhaps it’s because they’ve faced some financial hardships in the past, that they’re too busy “enjoying life” or that they simply never saw the value of devoting any of their energy to saving.
But at the end of the day, none of those reasons is particularly important. Rather than spend time figuring out why we don’t yet have that good habit in place, it’s better to simply start building one.
Here is some banking advice and pointers for developing and improving your own money-saving habits:
- Take a Financial Inventory. Sometimes the biggest incentive to getting into a money-saving habit is merely understanding that your current financial situation might not be as strong as you thought. By taking a financial inventory you’ll be able to quantify exactly how much you currently have saved, as well as your current assets and liabilities. This is usually known as calculating your Net Worth. Understanding clearly that you might not have as much saved as you thought can give you a strong push to start doing so.
- Make a Budget. Even though you know you should be saving, you might not have a good idea of what is a reasonable savings amount to target each month. Having a personal budget that clearly identifies your income and all of your expenses can help make this happen. There are manybudgeting tools that you can use. When you have a detailed budget you can identify potential areas to cut back on in order to boost your savings rate.
- Be Creative. In order to maximize your potential savings, don’t assume that any category of your expenses is fixed. Nearly all things can be changed and scaled back on, provided that you have enough will to do so.
- Involve Your Family and Friends. Even though we’re talking about your personal finances, your daily life probably involves many other people. It can be difficult to save as much as you’d like if you have friends and family members who may be competing for your financial resources. For example, your budget may demonstrate that you spend a bit too much going out for with your friends, so consider proposing less costly alternatives sometimes. Similarly, if your family spends too much money going out to eat, come up with a less costly way to still get the quality time together. By involving those in your life who are closest to you the savings process becomes easier.
- Prepare Yourself for a Change. Even once you’ve identified the areas that you want to cut back on in order to boost your savings rate, it’s quite another thing to actually go ahead and change your behaviors. If you assume that changing your other habits will be easy, you may be frustrated to find that it requires a little more work, and frustration can lead to failure. If you are targeting multiple areas, change one at a time and to give each change some time to become a new habit before trying to change the next one.
The best way to improve your savings rate over time is to do so in a deliberate and sustainable manner.