4 Healthy Kitchen Tips That Make It Easier To Eat Healthy
The kitchen is the heart of any home. It’s where people gather, the place where nourishment, the anticipation of delicious meals, and the sharing of the day’s news come together. It’s good smells, family traditions, and the bustle of everyday activity. There’s a reason why guests tend to end up in the kitchen at parties. People used to gather around a fire—now, the kitchen is the place to congregate, eat, and bond.
For all those benefits, your kitchen can also affect your health in a negative way. Here’s what to look out for, plus a few easy changes you can make to avoid falling into these traps.
1. Healthy Kitchen Obstacle: Your counter is like a junk food buffet.
It is never understood how some people could have cookie jars—especially glass ones—and candy dishes on their counters. The truth is that most of us will go straight for those things if they’re lying around in the open. This goes beyond common sense—research backs it up, too. According to a 2015 study out of Cornell University’s Food and Brand Lab and published in Health Education and Behavior, your environment plays a major role in your eating habits. Researchers found that when people only kept fruit on their countertops, they had lower BMIs than when they kept treats like candy in plain view.
“If you just came back from work and were feeling hungry, would you steal a chip or two or three from a bag of chips lying on your kitchen counter? Most people probably either would or they would spend a lot of willpower resisting the urge to eat the chips,” says study co-author Brian Wansink, Ph.D., director of Cornell University’s Food and Brand Lab and author of Slim By Design: Mindless Eating Solutions For Everyday Life.
A person who will eat the chips while expending a considerable amount of energy trying to resist diving into the bag a second and third time. You may be the same, and while that’s normal, it’s not necessarily the best thing for your well being. Grabbing two or three chips or a few pieces of candy here or there doesn’t sound like a lot, but hell yeah, that stuff adds up over time!
Healthy Kitchen Tip: The power of suggestion is real. Tuck snacks and treats out of sight in a cabinet. Either keep your counters clear of food, or put a bowl of fruit out. If you find yourself going back again and again to the same unhealthy food regardless of where you put it, it’s probably time to consider how regularly you should be buying it.
2. Healthy Kitchen Obstacle: You stock your kitchen without thinking it through.
As a registered dietitian, I have plenty of clients who buy all sorts of unhealthy food “for the kids” or “because my husband likes it.” Yeah, right. They know as well as I do that a lot of that food is going to end up in their stomachs, not anyone else. I feel their pain, though, because I do the exact same thing with peppermint fudge ice cream every single Christmas.
Healthy Kitchen Tip: If you want to keep unhealthy food in the house, be mindful of the reason why you’re buying it, then ask yourself if it makes sense to have it around at all times. Are you really buying it for other people and not yourself? Can you actually indulge in moderation—a good thing in my book—instead of devouring the entire bag of chips, box of cookies, or whatever it may be? Would it make more sense to approach it as the kind of treat you have to go buy when you’re really craving it instead of keeping it in the house? Think about these questions when you’re browsing the grocery store shelves—you’ll thank me later.
3. Healthy Kitchen Obstacle: Your plates are giving you portion distortion.
Bigger isn’t always better: A 2015 paper in the British Medical Journal reports that the size of tableware can directly impact people’s weight by nudging them to eat more or less. The researchers theorize that using smaller tableware, along with other portion-awareness methods, can cause a reduction in daily energy intake of between 22 to 29 percent in American adults. In other words, this can mean the difference between you taking in 2,000 calories a day and 1,420 calories a day. Whoa.
Healthy Kitchen Tip: If you can, choose smaller plates, bowls, and cups to eat and drink out of, then do so until you’re satisfied. And while you’re at it, fill half your plate with colorful vegetables—that’s what it should look like twice a day.
4. Healthy Kitchen Obstacle: Your kitchen is distraction central.
Yes, we live in a busy world, but you shouldn’t need to watch TV, go on your computer, use your phone, or scroll through your iPad as you eat every meal. Ideally, the kitchen would be a distraction-free zone, whether you’re just portioning out your food there or eating there, too. Doing either of these when you’re not paying attention can cause you to take in more calories without realizing it, and it’s not even like you really enjoy them!
Healthy Kitchen Tip: When was the last time you sat and just ate without multitasking? If your answer is, “Uh, never?” try being mindful while you eat instead of gulping your meal down while watching your favorite show. Turn the technology off and chew slowly, enjoying every bite. You’re not going to miss anything in the 20 minutes it takes you to eat. Instead, you’ll gain a sense of contentment, peace, and fulfillment—things that happen when you eat a quiet, nourishing meal while using all of your senses to focus on the food in front of you.
5 Easy Steps To Plan Your Kitchen
Do you like the sleek and streamlined look of a modular kitchen? But you feel unfortunate because you have none, right? Don’t keep brooding, just go for it! Modular kitchens not only look trendy, but are also very convenient to work in. That’s why they are called ‘modular’.
Modular Kitchen always pose to be a challenge to design, since it needs utmost care and maximum utilisation of space.
Here are 5 easy steps to plan your Modular Kitchen.
- Define the layout or shape
- Select the modules
- Choose the material
- Select the counter top
- Choose the right kitchen appliances
Step 1 : Define your Shape / Layout of Kitchen/ Plat
The designing of the layout probably is the most important step for modelling your kitchen. At this step the arrangement of the countertop, major appliances and storage areas is decided keeping in mind the best way to utilise the space available for the kitchen.
Depending on this there are 5 fundamental layouts for a Modular Kitchen:
- L Shape
- U shape
- Parallel Shape
- Full Rectangular shape with opening for Door.
Depending on the overall size of the kitchen, an island can be added to each of these layouts. A Breakfast table can also be designed depending on the width of walkways in the kitchen. All appliances can be integrated within the layout.
Step 2 : Select the Modules
The core focus while designing a modular kitchen goes to the kitchen cabinets and modules.
Each module will either have Shelf, Drawers, Pullouts etc. All of these have their own unique advantages and usage.
Shelf modules are the cheapest modules , Drawers are moderately priced whereas pullouts are expensive.
Corner modules offer various options for accessories.
K7 expert designer assist in selecting right balance of shelf / pullouts & drawers and also make sure ergonomics of work triangle is taken care of.
Wall modules can be hinged or lift up.
If there is a budget constraint then go for hinges. But with moderate budget one can opt for Lift up cabinet which gives easy access to storages.
Step 3 : Choose the material
There are two most important thing while selecting the material, quality and looks.
- a) Quality: Cabinet material for Kitchen is made to last for 15 years. So it is necessary to ensure that the material used is tested against water, termites, etc.
New Supertuff HMR HDF from K7 offers 5 years warranty against termites & water. It has strength of plywood and comes with an additional benefit of warranty. Moreover it is 30% cheaper than plywood.
- b) Looks/Shutter finishes : Kitchen looks are a reflection of your personality and your lifestyle. K7 caters to all 3 taste like Modern, Classic, Contemporary looks. These looks are available in variety of finishes such as LOP MATT, LOP GLOSS, MOP STN, MOP DES, MOP HG, AOP etc. The base material can be Supertuff HDF, Plywood, Aluminium frames etc. Depending on the budget one can choose the base finishes & base material. Supertuff HDF with foil gives the best combination of price along with a 5 years warranty.
Step 4 : Select the counter top
Once you have frozen the layout, modules & finishes of kitchen, it is time to choose the right kitchen top. One has a variety of choices such as Granite, Solid surfaces, artificial stone like Cesar stone etc.
Granite gives the best value for money proposition.
Solid surface gives seamless joint but can face the problem of stains due to spices/oil etc. K7 experts sit with you personally and give you the best solution for your need.
Step 5 : Choose the right Appliances/sink/facuet
Once you fix up the top then it is time to choose the right appliances such as Hob, Chimney, microwave, oven etc. Once this is done, it’s time to choose the right Sink singe/double bowl, with our without drain board and faucet for the same.
K7 has over 10 years of expertise in designing and building Modular Kitchens., we will help you select the most appropriate and best suited design and furniture for your kitchen!
So, if you are a restaurant owner who needs a kitchen redone or have bought a new home or planning to redesign your house or looking for customised modular kitchen –
“Visit K7 Lifestyle”
Cooking mistakes which make you increase the risk of cancer
Beside cooking delicious, house-wives also should keep an eye during cooking if they want their family’s health are protected.
Reusing cooking oil several times
Reusing cooking oil is one of habits cooking of many housewifes. When be heated several times, the chemical composition of oil quickly changes.
Specifically, vitamins A, E and some nutrients in the oil are destroyed, toxins appear as aldehyde, fatty acid oxide. These substances entering the body will destroy the enzyme causes indigestion, causing headaches, dizziness, abdominal pain, increased risk of cancer …
Turn off the hood too early
Gas stove handy, was selected as a cooking utensil for many families but it’s not really good for people’s health.
In use, gas stoves emit large amounts of carbon monoxide, formaldehyde and nitrogen dioxide. Three types of gases are found in cigarette smoke as passive smoking. To be healthy, you just turn it off after cooking hood finished 3-5 minutes to ensure emissions are escaping altogether.
Cooking with too much grease
Compared with people who consumed less fat, people often eat greasy have higher risk of breast cancer. The reason is eating much grease will lead to obesity.
Obese women have higher levels of ostrogen and insulin than women who have balance shape.
These is also a factor that causes breast cancer and endometrial.
Heat oil too hot
Do not wait till the oil streams. It’s not good for your health. It not only makes unpleasant odours, but also destroys the antioxidant effects of oil. More seriously, the oil can form harmful substances.
Cooking with too much salt
Salt increases the flavor to dishes but it also directly harms to the body. Experts from the US National Cancer Institute (NIC) said, eating too much salt diets is the culprit causing stomach cancer susceptible because it increases the risk of bacterial infections which cause fibroids.
Adding too much sugar to recipes
Although not directly cause cancer, but the absorption of large sugar increases the risk of overweight and obesity. Meanwhile, obesity causes changes in the levels of insulin and sex hormones in the body. This change impacts increase the risk of developing cancer of the breast, colon and uterus.
Do not wash pots before cooking
Many housewives make the common mistake that cooking with a cleanness pot. This habit led grease and food scraps before exposure to high temperatures produce benzopyrene – substance capable of causing cancer. Preferably, you should take the time to wash the pot before you start to cook a different dish.
How to Save Money when You Have a Spending Habit
Everybody loves money especially spending money. A lot of the things people buy are not needed: new clothes, gadgets and night life are not always necessary. The economy is rough, getting jobs is tough, so you need to value your money. Sadly, many people don’t have a high a financial IQ. They know how to make money, but not sure how to save and spend it. If your able to manage your money right–you will be able to treat yourself more comfortable and more often in the long run.
Here are some of the steps with which you can save money even while spending enough:
How to save the tiger
There are five different kinds or subspecies of tiger alive in the world today. These tigers are called Siberian, South China, Indochinese, Bengal, and Sumatran. Their Latin name is Panthera tigris. Tigers are an endangered species; only about 5,000 to 7,400 tigers are left in the wild. Three tiger subspecies, the Bali, Javan, and Caspian tigers have become extinct in the past 70 years.
Apple soon to launch wireless headphones
here is a rumor that points out to the demise of 3.5mm headphone jack on iPhone 7. There is a report from iPhone Supply Chain that confirms this information. It adds that a Lightning ‘convert up’ would be made available which allows the headphones with 3.5mm outlet to pair up with Lightning connector.
Last year, there were claims by Apple that it had plans of ditching the 3.5mm headphone jack for reducing the thickness of the iPhone by 1mm. This new report adds that Apple is also planning to promote its wireless headset. Claims were made by the previous report that the same size would be retained by the Lightning Connector and there would also be a digital to analogue converter with wired headphones for backwards compatibility.
The removal of the jack won’t go well with the users. Almost laptops, desktops, tablets and smartphones ship with the audio port. Considering the past record of Apple, removal of this port wouldn’t materialize. The compact disk drive was ditched by the company from the computer lineup with MacBook Air and soon it was done by other rival manufacturers as well.
Last year, the launch of MacBook was seen by the company having just 1 USB Type-C port for power input and data transfer. Besides, since a while now, the company has been giving hints of dislike towards this 3.5mm jack. In the year 2014, the MFi program specifications were introduced by the company so that 3rd- party manufacturers can make earphones that can connect well with iPad and iPhone through Lightning cable.
E-Cig no better than normal cigarettes, can kill cells
A new study has warned that e-cigs are equally dangerous than normal cigarettes and can cause cancer as well. While testing in lab researchers have found that vapours emitted from electronic devices can damage human cells and in extreme those vapours can kill cells.
Previous studies have suggested that nicotine in cigarette damages human cells. Wang-Rodriguez, chief of pathology at the San Diego branch of the US Department of Veteran Affairs, says that they have found some other products along with nicotine that affects cells. According to study authors, nicotine present in the e-cigs cannot harm so much and there must be other components in the e-cigarettes that are doing this damage. However, researchers haven’t identified those compounds yet.The US FDA (Food and Drug Administration) that regulate nicotine products does not regulate e-cigs. However, FDA has warned people of negative effects of smoke from electronic devices.
The US FDA (Food and Drug Administration) that regulate nicotine products does not regulate e-cigs. However, FDA has warned people of negative effects of smoke from electronic devices. For the study, Rodriquez tested two variants of e-cigs — nicotine and nicotine free version. Nicotine version makes a person addictive and affects cells, researchers already knew that. However, study authors were astonished to see that nicotine free version too altered cells and killed some cells in extreme cases.
Currently, there are more than 500 brands of e-cig and their marketing strategies makes them appear to the public that e-cigs are safe and will not cause any harm to health. Thus, attractive advertisement encourages people in using e-cig and develops a belief that e-cigs are safe when compared to regular cigarettes. According to reports, more than 2.6 million people use e-cigarettes in the UK itself and India is not far behind. Rodriguez further added that more research is needed to study the long-term effect of e-cigs.
The study appeared in the journal Oral Oncology.
Complex Alien Life in Old, Dense Star Clusters
For many years a lot of researchers and scientists are working in order to identify the existence of extra-terrestrial life in the outer space, the proceedings of the research are not leading to any fruitful results. A pair of scientists at the Tata Insitute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai has said that they might be hiding out in the unexamined star clusters.
The globular star clusters holding millions of stars in a ball that is about 100 light-years far from our solar system. In the clusters there could be a planet 10 billion year old giving the time to intelligent beings to evolve and become space-advancing. The Milky way has 150 globular clusters that are formed from the oldest known stars, most of being neglected and researchers are only able to discover that not have the features to sustain life.
Recently presented at 227th meeting of the American Astronomical Society, the scientists are raising concern that the clusters can pose a challenge for the habitability of the planets. Having strong gravitational forces the stars in the globular clusters are close to each other, the power of the force is so much that it can rip the solar systems apart.
According to the scientists any civilization present can survive for much longer and is likely to still be around, if the civilization is destroyed then it must passed on the information or people to another planet.
Was Lord Shiva the greatest environmentalist of the world?
.A paper named Lord Shiva: The Greatest Environmentalist in the World, was presented by Indian professor in the 103rd Indian Science Congress Association. The paper states that Lord Shiva was visionary and most environment-friendly man ever to live on Eart. He used animals for transportation, protected plants and did many more things to protect environment.
The ongoing Indian Science Congress in Mysore is now getting into a controversy for a couple of papers being showcased proposing Lord Shiva as the greatest environmentalist of the world. The selected papers were prepared by Akhilesh K. Pandey with the title Lord Shiva: The Greatest Environmentalist in the World, pointing Lord Shiva and the powers possessed as Lord of Mount Kailash accessed for providing purified water to living beings.
However the papers were unable to be presented as Dr. Pandey got a last minute injury on the leg while on the staircase, leaving the attendees to hear the lecture from Rajeev Sharma, additional commissioner of Kanpur on blowing of shankh for achieving health and wellness. The selection of the paper for the segment of the environmental conversation triggered a lot of heat on social media with the accusation of sponsoring non-scientific subject to the organizers and University of Mysore.
On the subject, Pandey cleared his view and said “My absence had nothing to do with the controversy. I injured my leg and that’s why I couldn’t come, he added, “It is important that people around us understand the importance of conserving plants and animals today”. He further added that family of Lord Shiva used animals for transportation and conserved plants that protected our environment. The papers presented at the 103rdIndian Science Congress undergo intense analysis before it is passed to be presented to the attendees.
Last year Congress held at Mumbai also encountered some sharp reactions from various communities representing scientists.
Now the rise in pollution in our environment has made many people think of the means in order to restrain the casualties and threats possessed due to it. After Delhi’s Odd and Even rule for the vehicles, a lot of people in other states are seeking for methods that can help the citizens to prevent the fatalities.
Top 10 Environmental Issues Facing Our Planet
Our planet earth has a natural environment, known as ‘Ecosystem’ which includes all humans, plant life, mountains, glaciers, atmosphere, rocks, galaxy, massive oceans and seas. It also includes natural resources such as water, electric charge, fire, magnetism, air and climate.
Engineering developments are resulting in resource depletion and environmental destruction. Modern technologies used in the engineering and manufacturing industry have a major impact on our life in past few years. Due to the rapid changes in the engineering and manufacturing industry have been drastic changes in the environment.
Engineering and manufacturing industry have increased the use of materials like metals, plastic, oil and rubber. These are used in the production of numerous end products which can be associated with different industries such as Car production units, shipping industries, Cotton mills, plastics industries, Coal mining, heavy machineries and etc which are causing numerous arduous effects and are considered to be non-environment friendly.
Crucial environmental issues are no more a blame game. While most of us crib about dirty air, smelly garbage or polluted water, least do we know it is “us” who is responsible for this unfavorable circumstances leading to cautionary environmental issues.
Here are 10 significant current environmental issues, where human beings play an important role in its cause.
1. Pollution: More than half of the human population knows what is pollution, but we are still not ready to face its damaging consequences. Pollution is not only limited to water, soil and noise but has extended to light, visual, point and non-point sources. Human beings and their actions are majorly responsible for causing all types of pollution. Water pollution is essentially cause by oil spills, urban runoff and ocean dumping. Air pollution rises from burning of fossil fuels, hydraulic fracturing and gases emitted by vehicles. Water and soil pollution are majorly cause from industrial waste.
2. Climate Change: Climate change today is less of a natural process. It is rapidly occurring due to the ill effects of human actions responsible for disturbing and harmful out comings such as global warming, greenhouse effect, urban heat, coal industry etc. Climate change is not only changing the overall weather scenario, but has larger and harmful effects. Some of these include: melting of polar regions, occurrence of new diseases and permanent inhibition in growth of certain plants essential for human survival.
3. Global Warming: Global warming is another environmental issue which is increase in earth’s temperature due to effect of greenhouse gases called carbon dioxide, methane, water vapor and other gases. These gases possess heat trapping capacity that are needed to create greenhouse effect so that this planet remains warm for people to survive. Without these gases, this planet would turn be cold for life to exist.
During past several decades, the accumulation of greenhouse gases have grown rapidly, which means more heat gets trapped in the atmosphere and few of these gases escapes back into the space. These gases heat up the earth’s surface and this results in global warming. According to Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) reports, the earth’s temperature has increased by 0.8 degrees Celsius over the past century. Global warming is a serious public health and environmental concern. Global warming can have long lasting effects which can result in melting of glaciers, climate change, droughts, diseases and increase in hurricanes frequency.
4. Deforestation: With population growing at a rapid pace, the demand for food, shelter and cloth has almost tripled in last few decades. To overcome growing demand, a direct action that we have come to recognize as “Deforestation” occurs. Deforestation means, clearing of forests or green cover for means of agriculture, industrial or urban use. It involves permanent end of forest cover to make that land available for residential, commercial or industrial purpose.
5. Overpopulation: This is a never-ending human tragedy which is responsible for causing all types of environmental issues. Water pollution, resources crisis, gender imbalance, pollution, land pollution, urban sprawling, deforestation, over production are some common examples of dangerous effects cause by overpopulation. Despite efforts taken by the government in terms of family planning in many countries, over population is difficult to control at international level. This has become more like a subjective concern and no method seems to be 100% efficient to resolve the problem of over population.
6. Industrial and Household Waste: At present, tons of garbage is produced by each household each year. Items that can be recycled are sent to local recycling unit while other items become a part of the landfills or sent to third world countries. Due to increase in demand for food, shelter and house, more goods are produced. This resulted in creation of more waste that needs to be disposed of. Most waste is buried underground in landfill sites. The presence of huge landfills sites across the city pose serious environmental concerns. It affects human health, degrades soil quality, effects wildlife, cause air pollution and results in climate change.
7. Acid Rain: Acid rain simply means rain that is acidic in nature due to the presence of certain pollutants in the atmosphere. These pollutants come in the atmosphere due to car or industrial processes. Acid rain can occur in form of rain, snow, fog or dry material that settle to earth. Acid rain may cause due to erupting volcanoes, rotting vegetation and sea sprays that produce sulfur dioxide and fires, bacterial decomposition and lightening generate nitrogen dioxide.
Acid rain can also be caused due to man-made sources which include combustion of fossil fuels which release sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides into the atmosphere. Acid rain can have devastating effects on aquatic life, forests, public health and architecture and buildings.
8. Ozone Layer Depletion: Ozone layer is a layer of gas that sits 25-30 km above earth’s surface. It mainly contains contain ozone which is a naturally occurring molecule containing three oxygen atoms. This layer is present in the stratosphere and prevents too many harmful UV (ultra violet) radiations from entering the earth. Ozone layer is capable of absorbing 97-99% of the harmful ultraviolet radiations that are emitted by sun.
However, during last several decades, human and industrial activity has contributed a lot which has resulted in considerable reduction in the ozone layer of the atmosphere. The main cause of depletion of ozone layer is determined as excessive release of chlorine and bromine from man-made compounds such as chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs). CFCs (chlorofluorocarbons), halons, CH3CCl3 (Methyl chloroform), CCl4 (Carbon tetrachloride), HCFCs (hydro-chlorofluorocarbons), hydrobromofluorocarbons and methyl bromide are found to have direct impact on the depletion of the ozone layer.
9. Genetic Engineering: Genetic modification of food, human and animal organs seems like the gem of science and technology but this has major harmful effects. Biotechnology is an impressive technology but limiting is use is the need of the hour. Genetic engineering is a controversial subject and has seen more ill impacts than the benefits it brings to mankind. Genetic pollution and alteration of food produce not only have harmful effects on human beings, but are responsible for crucial concern known s as ‘genetic modification’.
10. Urban Sprawl: Not only India and China are classic examples of over population and urban sprawl leading to land degradation. Today almost all countries are using the land irresponsibly to meet the ever-growing demand of the greedy human wishes. The expansion of industrial areas has not only led to land degradation and soil pollution, but the habitat destruction is a terrible misery. Natural environment consisting of flora and fauna is indiscriminately destructed and lost completely instead of being replaced. This in the long run has harmful impact for human survival and cause serious environmental issue.